Saturday, January 26, 2013

Wyatt aka 'Toddler the Terrible'

We recently went though a major lesson in parenting... I am posting this for the other mom's out there that may soon be hurdling this developmental stage. 

Wyatt laying in Ava's bath tub - told me he was "all clean" 

At some point in early January Wyatt woke up and decided this was his world and he was going to take it by storm. Enter 'Toddler the Terrible'! What happened to my adorable baby boy that said "please" and "thank you", loved to be cuddled and listened when I talked? He had disappeared leaving John and I in a constant state of frustration. We tried everything... yelling, time outs, and yes I am ashamed to say even a spank. Don't judge me, it hurt me more than it hurt him. Nothing seemed to get though to him! After more than a week of this demonic behavior I'd had it! John saw on my face that I was about to crack, he took the kids while I escaped to the grocery store (it's pathetic when going to the grocery store is therapeutic). I returned 2 hours later with a renewed lease on life, Wyatt was napping and John had me read this article: Getting your toddler to listen

Fast forward 1 week and I can honestly say this article may have saved my sanity and turned 'Toddler the Terrible' back in to our Wyatt. I am not saying we still aren't dealing with an occasional temper tantrum, but it is 1000 times better. I've learned a hard lesson - sometimes the actions of my child are reactions to my parenting approach. It's hard to look in the mirror and realize that you are part of the problem. But we're trying and adjusting to the challenges as they develop.

MARSHALL LAW: We work together to become better people!

No comments:

Post a Comment